Monday, February 28, 2011

Beauty Lives

I have spent the past five weeks of my College Career as a Student Teaching Intern at Middlebury High School.  In order to do this, I had to move home.

I packed my clear totes full of all my worldly possessions and tearfully said goodbye to the college life style.  I traded in the "Two Dollar Tuesday" Sundays spent watching movies and getting up at 9 AM for a jump start into my much coveted future as an educator.  While the transition has been hard, to say the least, and sometimes lonely, I could not be in a better position.

 I love the High School I work in, I love getting up at 6 because I get to see the sun rise and write in the quiet peace of morning time.  I enjoy eatting dinner with my parents, helping my brother with his essays and curling up in the recliner with the dog.  I have come to realize that I fit into this lifestyle and that being home on a Thursday is not a sin. 

Sure I miss where I was, and miss parts of myself that I left there on the hill, but when I am alone in my bed at night now I don't feel alone, I feel tired.  I sleep and I look forward to the next day not with dread but with wonder. 

This epiphony hit me today as I was teaching Creative Writing.  I had the students cut out 26 words.  I then had thme make those 26 words into a poem which I hung on the wall at the back of the room.  It was a nice way to get them back into the writing mode, and take them out of their apparent slump due to weather. 

After they left for the day, I sat down and completed the assignment for myself.  What I came up with made me smile.

Beauty Lives-

Thinking of sweet flashbacks.
The want here-
           Different.
Giving a worth to all passion.
           Tame art inside people
               Inspired spirit lessons.
Go.
It Matters.

It was a fun little assignment for the class, but for me, it was a reminder that things are going to be okay.  They always are.

No comments:

Post a Comment