Sunday, March 27, 2011

Scenes in a Bagel Shop

There is something to be said for the people who truly appreciate the wonderful healing powers of the bagel.  The thing about this albeit high in carb and calorie food is that the bagel has gotten me through some of the worst times as well as some of my best. 

Two people in my life truly appreciate the healing magic powers of the bagel.  And yesterday, I got to spend time with both of them. 

On the phone, it is easy for Rob and I to be ridiculous.  We say stupid things, argue pettily over where one or the other should park, discuss the true ramifications of a day spent lazing about doing nothing, or a doing filled with everything, the first typically being my first choice and his.  Something that always comes up in our conversation however is bagels.  Yes, sometimes the poor innocent food becomes a pawn in our tendency to pick on one another about what could be and never will be, but in this friendship, the bagel plays a central role.  Every time we part ways for separate parts of the country, we meet for bagels and coffee.  Since we say adios a lot, we share bagels about four times a year.

With Erin, things are different.  If we both make the effort, Erin and I can get together nearly every weekend.  Yesterday, we met for bagels in a Bagel shop on Church Street.  In typical Erin and Addie fashion, we made it not even ten steps into the place before some chick had insulted us.  Also in classic E&A  fashion, I ordered and proceeded to fight with Erin regarding her order until she ordered the same thing I did.  Erin and I spend our time laughing about the ridiculous, discussing the future, and trying to work out our feelings regarding the present.  Things are different with Erin and myself in that when life is shitty we talk it out.  We also know how to talk one another down.  This might be because we tend to know each other better than we know ourselves.  For this reason, we are able to make observations that cause the other to think long and hard about what we might really be thinking. 

The overarching theme here however, is not just bagels but people.  I find it somewhat ironic that the two people who I am still close with, the two people who still contact me back, and the two people who even if we go a while without speaking, who always manage to make me remember who I am, and that I am not disappearing all together from my life. 

So to the two people who never let me forget who I am.  I am thankful for you each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment